Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Downtown Uijeongbu: Our Latest Adventure

     I know, I know. It's been a while, but as I said from the start I make a terrible blogger. All of our stuff finally got here and so I've been really busy trying to unpack and organize.

     Anyway, because our stuff finally got here, including our TV we had the guys over for movie night. Which led us to deciding to go out to downtown Uijeongbu. We set out in search of a 노래방, Noraebong, which literally translates to singing room, or more specifically Karaoke.

     We'd heard about downtown Uijeongbu, and had actually driven past looking for Burger King, but had never actually been. Finally I asked for a good place for Karaoke and was pointed in that direction.

     The plan was to take a taxi, but we couldn't find one. I decided we would take the bus, and shouted, as Bus 3 pulled up, if we want to go we need Bus 3, so we hopped on. It took us to the station where we got off and crossed the street into downtown Uijeongbu, let me tell you it was not what I expected.

     It was partially an outdoor shopping center, with very Americanized stores. By the time we got there though most of the shops were closed down and the bars were opening up. As a twenty year old the whole scene was really exciting to me because it's not really something I get to do back home. On top of that the streets are all lit up with colors, it would make it exciting for anyone. 

Think streets and streets like this.
    
     Also there's about 4-5 different statues/fountains, but I've only seen one running.

This one has a channel, running about 100 yards to the left, but it's not flowing right now.

     There's just something about it that makes me feel like a kid in Disneyland.






     Anyway, we walk around and explore for a bit, go into a few places labeled as noraebong's (I'm the official reader of Hangul, so the guys always ask me what things say), but most of them were the kind where you rent a private room, which since only two of us would be singing would be kinda boring.

     Finally we ended up at one that was recomended, and it was a lot of fun, there were some ladies who freaked out and danced when I sang Mama Mia. And overall it was just a good time, until we went to pay. I had a coke and each of the guys had a beer, but nothing was labeled with prices. My tiny coke was 3,000 won and the guys' beers were 10,000 a pop, but that wasn't the kicker, it was 10,000 to sing, which we didn't know. But I guess its a good thing I sang so much, so we got our money's worth.

     It was a lot of fun, but I don't think we'll go there again.

     Tonight Swiss and I decided to venture back since the Daiso we saw there looked much bigger than the one on the other side of the station. We went and got our Burger King, which didn't have chicken fries!!!! And broke my heart, what's BK without chicken fries!? What has the world come to? And then set out in search of Daiso.

     It took us a while but we finally tracked it down. They didn't have a plunger like we were looking for, what's up with that? But we got a snake for our clog instead, hopefully it works. Also Daiso is a little bit like Walmart, once you go in you come out with 20 different things you didn't go in for. We ended up with a trashcan/toilet brush set and a few other odds and ends, including this little jewel:

    
     We also found another Daiso store there, but we didn't go in. And an outdoor market, with food, and shoes and clothes, and more food, it was pretty cool.

     We still haven't scoped out dongdaemun, and I still haven't gotten the jacket I want. Swiss still doesn't have one either :/ hopefully soon. And hopefully we'll do more exploring downtown, I am swooning, love, love, love it.

Annyeong-haseyo.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I loved your little journey in Uijeongbu! And is that a pencil case? What a perfect quote to little kids x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is either a pencil case or a chopstick case, not sure which.
      I haven't been active in quite some time, so I was quite shocked to get a comment notification in my email.

      Delete